The original King’s Men was started around 1959 by Mike Wittman, when a group of high school boys started visiting Mike's garage on a regular basis; wanting to learn how to work on their cars. It grew and grew so they talked about forming a club and, because all of the boys were involved in Twin Lakes Church, it was suggested that they become an outreach of Twin Lakes Church. Ray Opie and Dick Lindemann offered to join with the club, and then they talked about ways the group could be of service to the church and the community.
Small cards were printed and all the members carried them. The cards stated that the person it was given to had been assisted by a member of the club. At club meetings everyone enjoyed hearing from the different members who had performed a service. It made everyone feel useful and proud to offer assistance.
As the club members grew up and went in different directions, there were not really any younger boys to fill the ranks, so in about 1965 the club came to an end.
Some of the original members were Dave Meyer (first President), Dan Kraft (of Kraft's Body Shop), Jim Kraft, Ken Ritter, Jim Thomas, Mike Hughes, Ward Pitman (a current club member), Steve Bertch, Jim Stevens, Bob Stevens and quite a few more.
In about 2006, two men from Twin Lakes Church, John Galli (local realtor) and Dick Manning (retired Navy), heard that there had once been a car club connected with Twin Lakes Church. They had a vision to reform the club, to mentor high school youth who were interested in cars. Shortly thereafter, the new Kingsmen Car Club was born. They worked on several cars and then were donated a 1931 Model A Ford Coupe by one of the original King’s Men members, Jim Stevens. Jim’s grandson was in the beginning stages of working on the car when he was killed in a tragic accident. The apprentices have been working on this car to bring it back to life in honor of this young man. This has been a long process, but the car is almost complete.